Pebble Beach - Day 1!

Today was the start of the historic US Women’s Open at Pebble Beach! I was on hole #16 today. They started half of the field on hole #1 and the other half on hole #10 (this is typical for the first two days of golf tournaments). The first groups teed off at 7:00 so, my shift started at 8:30. It was a damp and foggy morning. The sun never did come out and the wind picked up. Needless to say, despite my layers, I was cold! I will definitely add more layers tomorrow. No real drama on my hole today. One player did hit it into a ravine under a bridge and had to take a drop. I only got ‘coached’ over the radio once when I didn’t measure a shot out of a bunker (silly me for thinking I was only measuring drives!). The, first in a Women’s event, technology is sooo easy to use - no wonder the Men have needed it! Other observations for today included a family of deer meandering around hole #16. They were oblivious of the players and they thought the fairway was there just for their breakfast and the bunker made a good short cut to get to the other side of the fairway. I also saw my first raccoon in the wild! Unfortunately, the sea gulls are a bit alpha and kept dive bombing the raccoon. The sea gulls did not discriminate because they were attacking the drones as well! Since I was frozen and tired, Nan and I left fairly soon after my shift ended at 2:00 and went to have an early supper at the restaurant at The Hay (par 3 golf course designed by Tiger Woods near Pebble Beach). They have good Mexican food. There was also a private event there where we saw several past US Open winners/players.

Look for me tomorrow morning on hole #16 and #9 in the afternoon…

(I’m the funny one on the right, but check out the deer behind us on the left…)



Comments

  1. Well done..congrats on surviving the ferocious wildlife..particularly that raccoon..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

USGA Senior Women’s Open - Day 3